Saturday 12 October 2013

The Ultimate Rainy-Day Chocolate-Chip Cookies






If you know me then you know that summer is most definitely my favorite part of the year, so you can imagine how cheated I felt when I woke up to gale force winds and thunderstorms outside.



But I waste no excuse to bake and found that in a situation like this there was no option but to stay in my pajamas, bake cookies and watch an entire season of friends.




As chocolate chip cookies were the first thing I ever learnt to bake this post definitely brings back memories of helping my Nana in the kitchen by creaming the butter and sugar as well as exercising my role as the official cookie dough taster. As my love of baking really started during making these with my Nan I believe that a chocolate chip cookie recipe is one that all bakers should have in their handbook. So here I give you the Ultimate Rainy-day Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies!



As this was 'spur of the moment' cookie making (isn't it always!) so the original recipe and suggested you refrigerate the dough for 24 hours (I love cookies but there is no way I was waiting that long) and used a combination of Cake Flour and Bread flour, which you can view here.





The Ultimate Rainy-Day Gooey Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3 2/3 cups minus 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

1 1/4 cups brown sugar

1 cup plus
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 2/3 cup chocolate chips + chopped cooking chocola

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Mix for about five minutes to ensure a light and creamy texture. 
4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour in vanilla and mix well.

5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined, avoiding over-mixing. Add chocolate chips. (try not to eat the entire mixture)



6. Roll into a thick rope and refrigerate for at least 15minutes.

7. Slice rounds of dough using a sharp knife and place onto a cookie sheet.
8. Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow cookies to cool completely.

I took this opportunity to also make ice-cream cookies which are possibly the most amazing way to eat cookies. The logistics are quite difficult so stay with me;
1. Take two cookies
2. Fill with as much ice-cream as possible!



*Proceed to eat the entire batch with ice-cream and never regret it because cookies are amazing and regretting it would hurt their feelings


No comments:

Post a Comment