Sunday 9 November 2014

Chocolate Fudge Thickshake (V)



So it's all fun and games on the blog most of the time, but today things are gonna get serious for a moment and I’m going to be honest… I never ate fruit until I was 16 years old! *Collective gasp from the audience, with many fainting from shock*

I know that may not seem particularly insane, but just think about it for a second, really let that sink in. A childhood without any fruit No juicy watermelons, pears, oranges or mandarins. No vibrant purple plums, sour lemons, grapes or sweet dates. But most importantly, 16 years with no bananas or avocado. Although I’m yet to make peace with any type of berry (which still disgust me), eating more than one type of fruit is still relatively new and exciting for me with the introduction of both the banana and avocado being nothing short of life changing.
Now you may be thinking, ohmygod as a result of her many many many hours of productive exam study (ha), Sarah has lost what little sanity she had left, because an avocado is most definitely a vegetable. Poor thing. Well if that was what you thought then it looks like I’m not the only one who is going to be learning a thing or two today, because like the sneaky tomato, the avocado is actually scientifically considered a fruit!


So in celebration of my new-ish found appreciation for most things fruity I decided to share with you my super-weird but actually amazingly delicious recipe for a chocolate Avocado Thick shake! This recipe is a bit of an estimate of what I use because I’m hardcore and I don’t follow a recipe… also because I usually never have all of the ingredients…

And I don’t know about you, but nothing annoys me more than when someone tries to convince me that a couple of nuts can curb any chocolate craving. Usually because I’ll attempt to do just that, and end up eating 4kg o salted peanuts nuts while still starting longingly at the 1 square of milk chocolate that I originally wanted (which I will then still eat 10 minutes later). So when I feel like chocolate, this thickshake is my number 1 go to, as the kale and avocado will keep you feeling healthy and full for hours while the cacao powder adds a rich chocolate flavor to satisfy the strongest of sweet-tooth’s.

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (Vegan) – Makes 1 large glass
- 1 frozen banana (Cut the banana into slices before freezing for easier blending)
- ½ Ripe Banana (the riper the banana, the sweeter the smoothie)
- 3 ice-cubes
- ¼ Avocado
- 2 T Cacao Powder
- 1 ½  C Water/Coconut Water/ Soy Milk (Depends on your taste/richness preferences)
- 2 stems Kale (optional) 

          1.   Add bananas, ice-cubes, kale, cacao powder and avocado into blender
          2.   Add ½ C of liquid into the blender, steadily add more until it is your preferred consistency  
         3.   Blend on high until the thickshake is totally smooth. I have an industrial blender and will usually leave it on high for at least 1 minute to ensure that the kale is totally incorporated. If it is gritty/leafy then you have not blended it long enough or on a high enough setting!  
        4.   Store in fridge until ready to drink (best consumed within a few hours of making)

      Happy Monday Everyone :)

 Happy Monday Everyone :)





No comments:

Post a Comment